Department of Treasury
The Department of the Treasury is responsible for promoting economic prosperity and ensuring the soundness and security of the U.S. and international financial systems.
The Department operates and maintains systems that are critical to the nation’s financial infrastructure, such as the production of coin and currency, the disbursement of payments to the American public, the collection of taxes, and the borrowing of funds necessary to run the federal government. The Department works with other federal agencies, foreign governments, and international financial institutions to encourage global economic growth, raise standards of living, and, to the extent possible, predict and prevent economic and financial crises. The Treasury Department also performs a critical and far-reaching role in enhancing national security by improving the safeguards of our financial systems, implementing economic sanctions against foreign threats to the U.S., and identifying and targeting the financial support networks of national security threats.
The Secretary of the Treasury oversees a budget of approximately $13 billion and a staff of more than 100,000 employees.
Treasury has become increasingly influential in federal cyber security activities, and through many public-private venues is poised to provide increasing amounts of leadership in commercial cyber security.
Treasury Strategic Goals
- Effectively Managed US Government Finances
- US and World Economies Perform at Full Potential
- Combated National Security Threats and Prevented Illicit Activity in the Global Financial System
- Management and Organizational Excellence
- Capital Planning and Investment Control
- HR Connect
- Information Management
- Cyber Security Policy and Program Performance Measurement
- Cyber Security FISMA Performance and Technical Review
- Vulnerability Analysis, Configuration and Planning
- Cyber Critical Infrastructure Protection
- Treasury Computer Security Incident Response Capability (TCSIRC)
- National Security Systems
- Cyber Security Sub Council of the Treasury CIO Council
- Treasury is a Networx user, expect all telecom use to be via Networx
- Treasury website was hacked in May 2010, sending visitors to treasury sites redirected to malware infected sites
Treasury services migrating to cloud
Treasury will migrate the following services to the cloud in 2011
- Document Management and FOIA Case Management
- Data Center Services
- Website Hosting
- Business Process Management
- Tool Suite to Advance Cyber Security and Computer Systems Training and Education (prweb.com)
- Nation’s fight against cyber intruders goes local (sfgate.com)
- The Government’s Do Not Pay Portal, Predicting Gun Crimes, and More (fedcyber.com)
- The Cyber Security Threat the Treasury Welcomes (independentsentinel.com)
- Threats to Industrial Systems Are Growing, Says Homeland Security Cyber Chief (fedcyber.com)