By Bob Gourley
The continued march to cloud based services that connect to appliance-like devices now includes a full spectrum of options including private clouds, public clouds, edge clouds and blended clouds. This move to cloud capabilities is transforming business models and operating approaches. It is also having a direct impact on server sales globally.
Regarding security, we continue to believe that when security is engineered into your solution, cloud computing is a much more secure approach. There are issues, of course, with multi-tenancy, availability, confidentiality of data. There are also issues of requiring assurance of path to capability and a need to be able to apply more rules to every gate at line rate with no delay (for more see Centripetal Networks).
Cloud computing also enables new, powerful ways to conduct analysis (for example, Recorded Future has models, methods, software and interactive interfaces into the predictive power of the Internet. Platfora has user-focused analytical capabilities that can run in private clouds to leverage all the data of an enterprise. Pentaho provides capabilities that can extract info from public, private or blended clouds to the benefit of analysts).
More on trends in Cloud Computing:
- Watch This Important Context On IBM and Lenovo from @SiliconAngle
- Exemplar Technologist and CEO Pamela Arya of @Optensity named @WITWomen Leadership Award Finalist
- Hadoop In The Cloud: New ecosystem of Cloudera partners provides even more options for your Big Data architecture
- Cloud Computing and Life Sciences: Two real world examples with real impact
- More Proof DSB Cloud Computing Conclusions are On Track
- Centripetal Networks a 2013 FinTech Innovation Lab company