Social networking, hacktivism, advanced persistent threats, cyberespionage, mobile malware, the entry of portable, handheld devices (smartphones, tablets) into the enterprise environment…these are just a few of the most prominent challenges security professionals must contend with each day. This year-end special section focuses on people who represent the highest degree of professionalism in the security space, individuals who stand out for their technical skills, managerial prowess, insight and advocacy. As well, interspersed are some of the highlights in the year’s strongest trends, including top breaches and threats, merger and acquisition activity and legal developments, as well as some of the nuttiest news stories in the cybersecurity world.
SC’s 2011 influential IT security thinkers
• Sameer Bhalotra, White House deputy cybersecurity coordinator
• Eric Cowperthwaite, chief information security officer, Providence Health & Services
• Suzanna Schmeelk,teacher, University of Maryland
• John Streufert, chief information security officer, U.S. Department of State
• Peiter “Mudge” Zatko,program manager at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
via SC Magazine, continued here.